Sim

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Next.....

Well, it's been a long time since my last posting and things have definitely changed.

My employer and I have parted company after a drawn out battle and I find myself seeking employment again.

I received a cash payment which gave me a few months breathing space to decide what to do with my life - unfortunately not sufficient to free me from the bonds of employment for ever - but the time is here for me to return to the workplace.

Unfortunately, the economy is rapidly swirling around the plughole and about to completely disappear down the drain. This makes finding employment extremely difficult.

I decided to return to a job I had many years ago - self employed photographer. Perhaps I should have considered the economy more carefully.........

When belts tighten, people look for ways to cut costs. In this age when every man and his dog owns a digital camera it is much harder to convince anyone they need to pay for a photographer when Uncle Bob can do it for free. It is only after the wedding when they see Uncle Bob's attempts that they realise a couple of hundred pounds for images of their wedding is actually worth spending. Too late.....

Anyway, as a result, I am now at the stage where finances are tighter than a pair of eighties jeans and I desperately need to find work. An employment agency recently informed me I am 'too good' for most of their jobs. While I could take comfort from knowing I'm highly rated at my job, it's no help to be told I can't get work because I'm too good at it!

I'm now considering returning to university as a mature student as I will, at least, be entitled to a student loan as well as have a focus in life (and a reason to get up in the morning). As someone in their forties it is pretty scary to think I might be on the scrapheap as far as employment is concerned. A few years of study might tide me over until this current economic crisis passes and enable me to slip back into employment before the next one arrives......

1 comment:

  1. Hi Neil, Noticed you are a fellow WB student.

    I understand exactly how you feel, about obtaining new employment in the current climate.

    I was working for a local government department and a week after the new government came into power, I was informed that due to cutbacks, my contract, which was due for renewal at the end of June 2010,would not be renewed. All I got was a really good reference!

    Upon signing up with an employment agency I was told there wasn't any jobs available for someone of my experience, calibre and that I should lower my expectations! I am a qualified secretary - with over 40 years experience! When I asked if my age was the problem, I was told ' age is no barrier, it is against the law to discriminate on the grounds of age.... Yeah right!

    So I am self employed, and help budding writers with presenting their manuscripts, typing, spelling, grammar etc., as well as helping people of a certain age with their computer problems.

    I wish you all the best in your search for employment and good luck with your writing course. Have you thought about writing a book on photography? Yes, 'Uncle Bob' can do it for nothing' but perhaps you could share your expertise with all the 'Uncle Bob's' and make some money that way. Just a thought.

    Keep in touch.

    Kind regards.

    Pauline

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment on my ramblings. I appreciate all feedback - good and bad!

Thanks

Neil