Sim

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Monday 21 March 2011

I just need to climb over this brick wall.....

Today has been the first 'difficult' day as far as my novel is concerned.

I'm finding myself questioning every line I write, which makes the process pretty slow going. I'm sure this isn't uncommon, but.....aaaarrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

I think the problem is simple. last week was too easy - the words flowed like drink at a student party and I just sat here and typed. Now I've reached the point where the story needs to develop and prove itself to me. I'm happy I've got a good story - I just don't have a couple of the 'links' between parts of the story. Does that make sense? I know the chain of events - I'm just having difficulty with a couple of joins (for want of a better word).

I'm sure I just need to keep thinking/writing and it'll work itself out.

On a different note I'd like a mini rant. Yesterday was a lovely sunny spring day so my wife and I took a walk down to Plymouth Hoe and surrounding areas. After a while we decided to have lunch in one of the local pubs (part of a nationwide chain).

At first we were going to just have a sandwich, but after seeing the images of a Sunday roast we decided to indulge.

Big mistake. The food was primarily processed food - the roast potatoes, Yorkshires, etc were all out of a frozen bag and the whole meal was cold. The gravy had actually congealed on the plate!

We sent it back and received a refund immediately. The staff seemed completely unsurprised that we complained - in fact they told us what was wrong when we spoke to them.

My real complaint relates to these companies selling a 'freshly cooked' Sunday Roast and then serving pre-prepared muck. Either offer a cheap roast that makes clear what it is or
actually cook the food! A revolutionary idea, I know, but think how much better it could be.

Twenty years ago I worked as the assistant manager in a couple of pubs (not restaurants) and the Sunday roast was completely cooked from scratch by a chef. The food always sold out and could have sold double. Isn't it good business to offer that now? It baffles me when pubs are in trouble but still treat customers with this level of contempt.

I'm sure there are many pubs that offer exceptional food but that's the point - the food is exceptional and not the norm. Come on British pub chains - sell us good food as standard - I'm sure the tills will reflect our appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment on my ramblings. I appreciate all feedback - good and bad!

Thanks

Neil