Sim

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Friday 29 April 2011

Time for a Republic

Half the country appears to be obsessed with watching a pair of rich, privileged people get married at our expense.

I am not a fan of the royalty and fail to comprehend the fascination with their wedding. I also fail to understand why I am contributing to the wedding of a multi-millionaire.

We hear all the nonsense about bringing revenue into the country, but I don't expect a cheque in the post as a return on my involuntary investment in this rubbish.

The royal family is an anachronism in the 21st century - why should someone be given such wealth and position just for being born? The behaviour of various family members over the last few decades demonstrate they do not truly deserve such admiration and privilege.

The Prince of Wales will inherit the title of Head of the Church when he becomes King, despite standing in Westminster Abbey and taking vows he had no intention of keeping. Is this someone who deserves to be given the throne? Should anyone sit on a throne in a modern democracy?

The royals have demonstrated a strong and broad streak of self interest - not the social conscience a modern regent should be expected to show.

When Windsor castle burnt down we were presented with a bill that would have kept a hospital ward open. No-one would ever expect the taxpayer to cover your uninsured losses - except a royal!

It's time to send them on their way - either sell them to the Americans who love them, or stop the civil list and other incomes and let them earn a living like the rest of the country. If they are such a income generator for the UK they can be employed by the tourist industry.

For myself, I would welcome the removal of the throne and all it's benefits.

Today has just reminded me how much I dislike this privileged, undeserving family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment on my ramblings. I appreciate all feedback - good and bad!

Thanks

Neil