Sim

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Friday 1 April 2011

Books from my childhood

I thought I'd write something a little different today.

I've noticed a number of blogs discussing whether writing for children is 'proper' writing and I thought I might just list and discuss a few books from my childhood (when they were chiselled in slate!).

I don't think any list of favourite childhood books can be complete without:
  1. The Paddington series by Michael Bond. A wonderful creation who subtly teaches children to be kind and polite - without being a walkover. Even today, in my house, we refer to "giving a Paddington hard stare" at anyone who upsets us. I must admit I was first in line when the new book, Paddington: Here and Now,  was released a couple of years ago. I still found myself laughing out loud with enjoyment. Can there be a greater definition of a writer than one who can generate such feelings with their writing?
  2. The Jennings series by Anthony Buckeridge. I discovered these books when I was about eight or nine. I grew up in a council house in North London, so the world of boarding school and 'jolly japes' was an alien one to me. This series drew me in and showed me a different aspect of life. I loved these stories and desperately wished I could join Jennings, Darbishire and the gang. It offered a much happier life than I felt I had and provided me with an escape for a few hours. The books are undoubtedly outdated now, but I'd still like to see them being read. In fact, they are still sold on Amazon - perhaps they are still popular. I hope so.
  3. Outdated, racist, elitist - perhaps. But Enid Blyton provided many of the books I worked through at home to improve my reading. I read all the Famous Five, Secret Seven, etc books and must admit to greatly enjoying them. At an age where sexual politics was unknown I never considered the tomboy, George, to be anything but that. I didn't see any of the subtext that we are now told makes her (Blyton) so bad - I just saw enjoyable adventures. I also enjoyed (at a younger age) the Wishing Chair and the Faraway Tree stories.    I do worry that academics and politically motivated readers will search for any opportunity to brand a writer. To my mind, Blyton was a product of her time. Her books deserve to be enjoyed by children, not torn apart by adults looking for a peg to hang their political hats. (Sorry, rant over).
  4. Dr No by Ian Fleming. Not a children's book I know , but I read this aged eleven. Therefore I consider it a book from my childhood. I was given this by a wonderful English teacher who wanted to keep my love of reading alive. The set books were Shakespeare, A Man for all Seasons, Poetry and another book which has now passed from my mind. My teacher was aware this was not a set designed to appeal to the heart of an eleven year old boy (even one with an adult reading level) and provided the Bond book as an incentive. Like most adolescents I was hooked on Bond from page one. I devoured the entire series over the next few years. My father  was not a book person and would often throw my books away if he was in the mood, so these books were quite often my 'under the bed clothes with a torch' books. We must, of course, also remember that Fleming also wrote a book specifically for children that is loved by all ages as a film and stage show - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Who says proper writers don't do children's stories?
This seems to be turning into an epic blog. Perhaps I'll return to this theme another day. Please leave a comment if you would like to mention a favourite book from your childhood. It would be interesting to see other opinions.

Thanks

Neil



    5 comments:

    1. I was a big fan of Enid Blyton books. Especially the Secret Seven series and The Magic Snow Bird.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I am not very fond of children book, but one thing that i am sure about i.e. they do appeal. And with the perfection they can do wonder.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Even to this day I still adore the books of my childhood. The Famous Five is right at the top of my list. I too was brought up on a council estate, and I was quickly drawn into the world of these four boarding school children. I was in awe of Kirrin Cottage, it had a study! and the family had a cook! The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, Anne of Green Gables, The Silver Sword... were/are all big favourites of mine. I could go on for hours, but these books are the reason I have always been an avid reader.

      I actually can't believe that some people don't think that writing books for children is 'proper' writing. Try telling JK Rowling that, I am sure she would disagree!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thank you for your comments. It's good to see I'm not alone in my fond memories of Enid Blyton.

      I think it's easy to write for children - it's much harder to write well for children!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi Neil,
      I just wanted to say that my favourite childhood book was 'The Twits' by Roald Dahl. I even got the opportunity at school to write my own version of it. I did also enjoy Enid Blyton too.
      Jaki

      ReplyDelete

    Please feel free to leave a comment on my ramblings. I appreciate all feedback - good and bad!

    Thanks

    Neil