Sim

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Monday 4 April 2011

Why I want to write like...

At the end of last year, the Writers Bureau magazine Chapter & Verse asked readers to submit a piece entitled 'Why I want to write like...'. Time and other commitments meant I missed the deadline (I managed the next one and was included in the magazine!) and didn't submit my piece. So, I thought I'd share it with you today.

Why I want to write like – Stephen King...

He may not be shortlisted for the big literary prizes, but Stephen King is my choice for one reason – he is extremely good at doing his job. I don’t pick up a Stephen King expecting important literature, I expect an enjoyable read. He has never let me down and I feel this is the single most important aspect of the writer and reader relationship. 

When you read a King book you know you will become immersed in the lives of his characters. He may not be the greatest living writer, but his books are truly absorbing, with real people that you care about. I would love to be able to create characters and places with such strong and believable histories. For me, a writer who can create such magic and provide entertainment for so many people around the world is surely a better writer (in terms of writing something people actually want to read and will enjoy) than any of the high brow literary greats whose work only appeals to the few.

Stephen King is a writer without a conscience. I don’t mean he’s an evil sociopath; just that he is willing to kill off anyone to improve the story. Most of us labour to create a believable, rounded character and then do our best to protect them through the story. Mr King breathes life into a character just to snuff it out again. This has the effect of always leaving you unsure how the story will come out – there’s no guarantee the hero will even survive the adventure. How many of us are brave enough to kill off strong, believable characters so casually?

I don’t wish to write horror; I would just like to write with even a portion of the talent of King when it comes to developing characters and situations that hold the readers interest until they turn the last page. I have often finished a King book with regret that I am leaving his world. I can think of no better compliment to a writer and can only dream of ever writing even one story with such power.

I enjoy reading a wide range of books in a number of genres, but I have rarely found any writer who can weave such a powerful spell around the reader. Stephen King, at his best, is the greatest example of a truly skilful storyteller. Any aspiring writer could certainly do far worse than aspire to reach such a level of writing (in my opinion...).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment on my ramblings. I appreciate all feedback - good and bad!

Thanks

Neil