Sim

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Thursday 7 April 2011

A Writer? No, not me!


I've just read a blog which discussed the type of person who claims to be a writer. The blog stated there are two types; the person who tells everyone they are a writer in order to impress people and the person who just gets on and writes.

I must admit I am definitely not in the first category. I never tell anyone that I write (most people are aware I am a photographer) – in fact I find it a little embarrassing when someone finds out. I'm quick to point out I've never been published and am unlikely to ever be so.

However, I might have less choice in the matter this September, as I've been offered a place in the second year of a BA in Creative Writing. I can hardly deny being a writer whist undertaking this programme, can I?

This leads me to my next question. At what point do you say you are a writer and actually have credibility?

In my opinion, anyone who writes for the sake of writing, good or bad, is a writer. In the same way as anyone else who pursues an interest can call themselves a painter, footballer, etc, if you write you are a writer.

The difference for some of us is a desire to send our babies out into the world to see if they can survive on their own. The reality is not good. For every one successful writer there are thousands of recipients of reject slips.

The truth of the matter is simple – we write because we love it and we dream that others will love our work as much as we do. I believe anyone who writes because they have no choice in the matter (from desire, not coercion) can, and must, call themselves a writer.

When I join the BA in September I will be surrounded by much younger students who will undoubtedly be more than prepared to use the 'W' word to describe themselves. Hopefully, by then, I will have the courage to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment on my ramblings. I appreciate all feedback - good and bad!

Thanks

Neil