Sim

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Sunday 22 May 2011

No redemption for my bad guys...


I was watching a Bond film this weekend when I was reminded of a pet hate in modern film – the redemption of the 'bad guy'.
In this particular film, the murderous henchman 'Jaws' helps Bond escape because he (Jaws) has found a young love. Instantly all his murders are forgiven and we are assured by Bond "He'll be fine." For the entire film he has been a murderer, but now he's a good guy???
This particular habit has been seen for years in modern films. Darth Vader is redeemed at the end of Return of the Jedi when he decides not to assist in the murder of his son. By the end of the film he is seen in ghost form, waving and smiling. It would appear his one act of mercy redeems him from the millions of deaths he has caused. I'm sure the many victims would say "Oh, okay. He didn't kill his son, he must be a good guy now..."
Why does Hollywood feel the need to 'save' the truly evil character in such a way? I'm sure we could all name dozens of films where an apparently evil person suddenly becomes a good guy moments before their death. Is this the modern version of the religious fiction involving death bed salvation?
I find this particularly ridiculous when you consider the real world. Nazi concentration camp guards are, quite rightly, arrested and convicted sixty years after the event. No-one would say they should be forgiven as they've been well behaved ever since. They committed atrocities and will die with that around their necks.
I am not religious and believe in neither Heaven nor Hell, I believe your punishment should be to live (or die) with the cost of your life actions on your conscience. I do not agree with the concept of forgiveness for showing contrition. When was that punishment for the taking of innocent lives? If Bin Laden was found working in an orphanage, having foresworn violence, would he have been forgiven? Of course not.
Hitler was apparently kind to children and his dogs. He was still a mass murderer and deserving of eternal condemnation by history.
Let's remember one or two acts of kindness are not enough to redeem an evil person, even in fiction. They are usually self-serving acts anyway. The killer who lets a person live is normally indulging a whim. Nothing more.
I certainly hope to make my characters, good and bad, more complex than the two dimensional white hat/black hat convention, but I will also remember evil is always evil at heart. There will be no last minute salvation for my bad guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment on my ramblings. I appreciate all feedback - good and bad!

Thanks

Neil